Here is the 2016 course map. Click the map to view a 11×17″ PDF file with more details.
RELAY RUNNERS NOTE: The above map and PDF includes the relay exchange points. Those exchange points are labeled as “Rx1” and “Rx2”. Your browser should support the ability to magnify the map so that you can see these points better. Relay exchange 1 is near the 8-mile mark at Goldstream Sports, and relay exchange 2 is near the 17-mile mark at the top of Ester Dome.
Additional maps. These are slightly out of date, and don’t reflect some of the recent course changes, but still give you a pretty good idea of the course from a few different perspectives.
- Two-Dimensional Google Earth Satellite Photo (173KB, JPG)
- Three-Dimensional Google Earth Satellite Photo (187KB, JPG)
- Three-Dimensional Topographic Course Map (121 KB, JPG)
And here is the 2015 course profile. Don’t be too intimidated…we had to scrunch the profile horizontally a lot to get it to fit on this page. But the marathon has some elevation change to it! Click the image to download or view a larger PDF file.
Click here for a detailed, textual description of the course.
Relay Exchange Zones
The relay exchange zones are located at the 8.4 mile point, in the Goldstream Sports parking lot, and at the 17.1 mile point, at Ullrhavn Summit, just before descending the Chute.
Relay runners are required to pass through the Relay Exchange Zone chutes at each exchange. If a relay runner does not pass through the chute, the team will not be timed and will not be listed in the results – because there is no proof that the team passed through that control point.
Second-leg runners may catch a ride from the start to the first exchange point. The buses will leave the UAF Patty Center shortly after 8:05AM. Taking the buses will help reduce the levels of traffic and confusion in the area of Ann’s Greenhouse, the Sheep Creek Road RR Crossing, and the intersection of Sheep Creek Road and Ester Dome Road. This will increase the safety of all participants, volunteers and spectators, and will make the race much more enjoyable for runners.
Third-leg runners should get themselves to the upper end of Henderson Road where it intersects with Ester Dome Road, from which point they can ride shuttle buses to the top of Ester Dome, where the second exchange point is located. Private vehicles are NOT permitted to pass above Henderson Road on race day. If you don’t ride the bus, count on a walk of at least 20 minutes from the Henderson Road-Ester Dome Road junction to the exchange zone.
Second-leg runners should plan on taking the shuttle buses down to Henderson Road after having run the second leg. Second-leg runners who want to have a bag of dry/warm clothing and or fluids/food will need to find someone to transport the bag to the top of Ester Dome. The Equinox Marathon organization will not transport gear for relay runners.
There are nine feed stations on the marathon course and one at the finish.
- Mile 2.5 – at the intersection of Ballaine Road and Yankovich Road
- Mile 5.5 – at the intersection of Yankovich Road, Miller Hill Road and Lawlor Road
- Mile 9 – at the intersection of Ester Dome Road and St. Patrick Road (where the climb of Ester Dome starts)
- Mile 11.1 – on Ester Dome Road at the north/upper end of Henderson Road
- Mile 12.4 – at Ullrhavn Summit, where the “Out-and-Back” section begins
- Mile 14.75 – at the Turnaround on the “Out-and-Back”
- Mile 17.1 – at Ullrhavn Summit, just before plummeting down the Chute
- Mile 19.8 – on Henderson Road at the pullout just below the mine; this feed station was formerly located on the pavement below the 20-mile sign, but has been moved up the hill a fraction of a mile
- Mile 22.8 – on the east end of the powerline segment where it joins Gold Hill Road
- Finish – Full service support at the finish will continue through 4:00PM; reduced services are available after 6:00PM
Note: A portion of the Equinox Marathon course takes place on the West Ridge Trails of UAF. The UAF Trails Club maintains these trails, so please support them if you can!