Here is the 2017 course map. Click the map to view a 11×17″ PDF file with more details.
RELAY RUNNERS NOTE: The above map and PDF includes the relay exchange points. Those exchange points are labeled as “Rx1” and “Rx2”. Your browser should support the ability to magnify the map so that you can see these points better. Relay exchange 1 is near the 8-mile mark at Goldstream Sports, and relay exchange 2 is near the 17-mile mark at the top of Ester Dome.
Additional maps. These are slightly out of date, and don’t reflect some of the recent course changes, but still give you a pretty good idea of the course from a few different perspectives.
- Two-Dimensional Google Earth Satellite Photo (173KB, JPG)
- Three-Dimensional Google Earth Satellite Photo (187KB, JPG)
- Three-Dimensional Topographic Course Map (121 KB, JPG)
And here is the 2015 course profile. Don’t be too intimidated…we had to scrunch the profile horizontally a lot to get it to fit on this page. But the marathon has some elevation change to it! Click the image to download or view a larger PDF file.
Click here for a detailed, textual description of the course.
Relay Exchange Zones
The relay exchange zones are located at the 8.4 mile point, in the Goldstream Sports parking lot, and at the 16.6 mile point, in the saddle between the two peaks on Ester Dome, shortly before descending the Chute.
Relay runners are required to pass through the Relay Exchange Zone chutes at each exchange. If a relay runner does not pass through the chute, the team will not be timed and will not be listed in the results – because there is no proof that the team passed through that control point.
See the Relay Shuttles page for information about transportation to and from the relay start and end points.
There are nine feed stations on the marathon course and one at the finish.
- Mile 2.5 – at the intersection of Ballaine Road and Yankovich Road
- Mile 5.5 – at the intersection of Yankovich Road, Miller Hill Road and Lawlor Road
- Mile 9 – at the intersection of Ester Dome Road and St. Patrick Road (where the climb of Ester Dome starts)
- Mile 11.1 – on Ester Dome Road at the north/upper end of Henderson Road
- Mile 12.4 – at Ullrhavn Summit, where the “Out-and-Back” section begins
- Mile 14.75 – at the Turnaround on the “Out-and-Back”
- Mile 17.1 – at Ullrhavn Summit, just before plummeting down the Chute
- Mile 19.8 – on Henderson Road at the pullout just below the mine; this feed station was formerly located on the pavement below the 20-mile sign, but has been moved up the hill a fraction of a mile
- Mile 22.8 – on the east end of the powerline segment where it joins Gold Hill Road
- Finish – Full service support at the finish will continue through 4:00PM; reduced services are available after 6:00PM
Note: A portion of the Equinox Marathon course takes place on the West Ridge Trails of UAF. The UAF Trails Club maintains these trails, so please support them if you can!